Participating sites and special events are subject to change. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for new additions and updates. ×

Doors Open Baltimore

#ExploreMoreDoors

Site by Younts Design Inc. © 2017, Doors Open Baltimore.

Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum

1320 Eutaw Place, Baltimore, MD 21217

Lillie Mae Carroll Jackson, known as the mother of the Civil Rights movement, headed the Baltimore Chapter of the NAACP from 1935 until 1970. Upon her death, she left her home, which had served as the chapter’s operations center, to her daughter Virginia Kiah for the construction of a museum. Virginia opened a free-to-the-public, Civil Rights museum in the house in 1978 featuring photos, documents and memorabilia from the movement. Morgan State University now owns the museum and conducted a $3 million restoration in 2012. On June 11, 2016, there was a ribbon-cutting ceremony to dedicate the reopened museum.

Photos by: Vivian Marie Doering

Visit Baltimore Heritage for more historic info on this site
Other Northwest sites you may be interested in: