The Walters Art Museum600 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201 www.thewalters.org
In the 1870’s, William Walters, a prominent liquor wholesaler and avid art collector, would open his art collections to the public on Wednesdays in April and May. When William died in 1894, he passed his art collection to his son Henry who acquired more art works and commissioned construction of the original Walters Art Museum building in 1905. This building was modeled after the 17th century Collegio dei Gesuiti in Genoa. A brutalist-style addition was constructed in 1974, and renovated from 1998 to 2001 to feature a glass facade. The Walters collection features 32,000 objects from across the globe representing 55 centuries of history. Guided tours of the museum will be given throughout the day.
Join a guided tour exploring the architecture of The Walters, both in the works of art and the building itself at 1pm.Visit Baltimore Heritage for more historic info on this site
Other Southwest sites you may be interested in:
First Unitarian Church of Baltimore
12 W Franklin St
500 W Franklin St
851 Hollins St