Baltimore Museum of Industry | 2019 Doors Open Baltimore Info Hub
1415 Key Hwy, Baltimore, MD 21230
Built in 1865, the Platt & Company Oyster Packing Co. is the last existing cannery building along the harbor. The original building saw several fires in the late 19th century. Landra Beach Platt’s company canned oysters as well as fruit and vegetables at this site until the early 20th century when the company shifted operations to the fiber tubing industry. In 1967, several outbuildings were replaced by a prefabricated Butler Building which today is home to the Decker Gallery. 1425 Key Highway (the brick administration building in the parking lot) was previously home to the Hercules Shipbuilding Company. Factory operations ceased in 1972 and the site was purchased by the city in 1977. It opened to the public as the Baltimore Museum of Industry in 1981.
Museum admission is free, but please check in at the front desk upon arrival. There will be a special presentation about adaptive reuse of former industrial buildings with architect Tom Liebel at 10:00 am and hands-on family activities between 11:00 am – 2:00 pm. A special temporary exhibit, “Shuttered: Images from the Fall of Bethlehem Steel,” tells the stories of the men and women who worked at Sparrows Point through the photographs of J.M. Giordano. The Farmers’ Market runs from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm in the parking lot and covered pavilion.
- Accessibility: Fully Accessible
- Parking: Free Parking
- Photography: Permitted; No Tripods