Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum
1320 Eutaw Place, Baltimore, MD 21217
Lillie Mae Carroll Jackson, known as the mother of the Civil Rights movement, headed the Baltimore Chapter of the NAACP from 1935 until 1970. Upon her death, she left her home, which had served as the chapter’s operations center, to her daughter Virginia Kiah for the construction of a museum. Virginia opened a free Civil Rights museum in the house in 1978 featuring photos, documents and memorabilia from the movement. Morgan State University now owns the museum and conducted a $3 million restoration in 2012.