Orchard Street Church (Greater Baltimore Urban League)
512 Orchard Street, Baltimore MD 21201
There is much shared history between the Orchard Street Church (OSC) and its current owner, the Greater Baltimore Urban League (GBUL). The original church was built in 1837 by African Americans for African Americans. In 1882, architect Frank E. Davis was commissioned to build a new church on the site to meet the needs of the growing congregation and neighborhood.
During the post-Civil War era, the church served as a civil institution for the African American community. Orchard Street hosted conventions, graduations, and conferences, and supported health initiatives, civic empowerment, and education. Famous congregants include Samuel Green, a founder of Morgan State University, and Harry S. Cummings, Baltimore’s first black city councilman. The GBUL continues the civil legacy of the church through programs, outreach activities, community and organization meetings, and tours.
Guided tours and library exhibit available. Enter under the red canopy on the side door. Please park on the street or the lot across the street. The parking lot adjacent to the Church is a tow lot.
- Accessibility: Fully Accessible
- Parking: Free Parking
- Photography: Permitted