Saint Ignatius Church, the Jesuit Church of Baltimore
740 N Calvert St, 21202
Limited to 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM on Saturday
St. Ignatius Church, initially known as the College Church, was built in 1856 to complement the recently established Loyola College. Baltimore architects Louis L. Long and Henry Hamilton Pittar modeled the Italian style church after the Jesuits’ mother church in Rome. Classical details on the interior include ionic columns, elaborate moldings, and arched windows as well as paintings by Constantino Brumidi, whose works appear in the Rotunda of the United States Capitol. Today, St. Ignatius prides itself on being an inclusive, diverse spiritual community with a wide range of ministries including interfaith/ecumenical dialogue and outreach to the poor and homeless. The church also played a pivotal role in opening two tuition-free schools, St. Ignatius Loyola Academy and Cristo Rey High School. Come on a guided tour to learn more about this historic building!
- Limited Hours: 10am-2pm
- Photography: Permitted
- Parking: Street parking
- Accessibility: Fully accessible