Saint Mary Star of the Sea
1400 Riverside Avenue Baltimore MD 21230
The cornerstone of this Catholic Church, built to meet the spiritual and material needs of the growing Irish-Catholic population in South Baltimore, was laid in 1869. The first stage of construction was completed by 1871, and was fully funded by local festivals and street harvest markets. As the parish grew, a tall spire with a light at the top was added to the Church building, which served as a beacon for ship traffic. In the mid 1890s, beautiful stained glass windows made in Munich were added to the church, and in the 1920s, a magnificent Cassavant organ was purchased and installed. With the merger of the three catholic parishes to the new Catholic Community of South Baltimore in 2019, St. Mary Star of the Sea still provides mass service and has an active community life with various activities. On May 11 in 2019, the Church celebrated its 150th anniversary.
- Accessibility: Partially Accessible
- Parking: Street parking
- Photography: Permitted