◀ See all sites

The University of Baltimore’s Castle Building

10 W. Preston Street, Baltimore MD 21201

Visit Website
Construction Date:1927
Architect:Clyde N. Friz


The Italian Renaissance style building, which now houses the College of Public Affairs and other departments at The University of Baltimore (UBalt), was erected to serve as a lodge for the Knights of Pythias. This fraternal order was formed to support national healing after the Civil War.  

While the building is now used by UBalt, the order still exists and works to promote Friendship, Charity and Benevolence. The building has large dragons holding the flagpoles at the entrance, large seals, a large circular stairway, stained glass windows and zodiac stones in the floor. Before being turned over to UB, the building stood for many years as a bank. The bank’s name can also be seen from the building’s exterior and the vault may be open for viewing. 

  • Accessibility: Fully Accessible
  • Parking: Street Parking
  • Photography: Permitted