◀ See all sites
saturday

Emmanuel Episcopal Church


811 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

Visit Website
Construction Date:1854
Architect:Niernsee & Neilson (1854); Goodhue, Cram & Ferguson (c.1920s)
More Historical Info via Baltimore Heritage

Information

Emmanuel Church, a daughter parish of Christ Church, Baltimore was founded in 1854. Designed by Niernsee & Nielson, the original building was in the fashionable Italianate style with a Tuscan bell tower and rubble masonry. Today, only the exterior walls and lancet windows are left of the original design as the church was extensively renovated in the 1910s and 1920s by Rev. Dr. Hugh Birkhead. Architects Goodhue, Cram and Ferguson transformed the church by and raising the roof and floor to create room for a chapel on the lower level and adding a Gothic tower. This larger, Gothic inspired building is what you see today. Come visit and be sure to see Tiffany windows and a magnificent John LaFarge window in the nave and Daniel Chester French sculpture in Baptistry. All areas, including Eccleston Chapel, can be reached through main entrance on Cathedral.

  • Accessibility: Partially accessible (Only parts of the building can be accessed via wheelchair)
  • Parking: Street Parking
  • Photography: Allowed