First Unitarian Church of Baltimore
12 W Franklin St, Baltimore, MD 21201
Built in 1818 by Maximilian Godefroy, the First Unitarian Church of Baltimore is a fine example of Romantic Classicism. In 1819, Rev. Dr. William Ellery Channing delivered the landmark Baltimore Sermon at the First Unitarian Church, which led to the formation of the Unitarian denomination. In the late 19th century, the interior underwent a major reconstruction during which Tiffany windows, a Tiffany mosaic, barrel vault and a Niemann organ were added. Throughout its history the congregation has boasted prominent Baltimore citizens including George Peabody and Enoch Pratt. Continuously operating as a Unitarian Church since 1817, First Unitarian is celebrating the bicentennial of the dedication of the church building. Come join the celebration and hear the Niemann organ be played!
In addition to participating in Doors Open Baltimore, we will be hosting a special illustrated lecture during the month by a noted architectural historian to which the public will be invited.
- Accessibility: Fully
- Parking: street
- Photography: Permitted for personal use