Lloyd Street Synagogue at the Jewish Museum of Maryland
15 Lloyd St, Baltimore, MD 21202
The Lloyd Street Synagogue was built in 1845 by the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue erected in Maryland, and today it is the third-oldest standing synagogue in the U.S. For more than a century, the building was used as a house of worship, study, and assembly by three different congregations: Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (1845-1889), St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church (1889-1905), and Shomrei Mishmeres HaKodesh (1905-1963). The Synagogue was lovingly restored in 1963-65. Recent archaeological and architectural discoveries, including the original 1845 mikveh (ritual bath), are accessible to Museum visitors. To visit this historic space, please check in at the main museum building located beside the synagogue.
- Accessibility: Not accessible
- Parking: Street parking