Lovely Lane United Methodist Church
2200 St Paul St, Baltimore, MD 21218
Lovely Lane Methodist Church is both an exemplary example of Romanesque Revival architecture and a piece of religious history. The Lovely Lane Meeting House and Society hosted the Christmas Conference in 1784 that organized and structured the Methodist Episcopal Church, making Lovely Lane the mother church of Methodism worldwide. The church was commissioned by pastor Dr. John Goucher in 1884 and designed by renowned architect Stanford White. The church’s rugged facade is constructed of Port Deposit granite and its commanding bell tower is modeled after the 12th century church of Santa Maria, Abbey of Pomposa, near Ravenna. The Museum and archives downstairs share the history of the Methodist Church.
- Accessibility: Partially Accessible
- Parking: Street Parking
- Photography: Permitted