Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church
1206 Etting St, Baltimore, MD 21217
Established in 1787, the Sharp Street Church was the first African American Methodist congregation in Baltimore City. Before occupying their first building on Sharp Street in 1802, the church’s members worshipped in their homes. In 1867, the church, along with prominent Baltimore leaders, established the Centenary Bible Institute, now Morgan State University. To accommodate a membership migrating to North Baltimore, the congregation moved to its current building in 1898. The church served as the spiritual home to Lillie Carroll Jackson, president of the Baltimore NAACP from 1935 to 1970. Come tour the church and archival center to learn more about this historic congregation and the history of African Americans in Baltimore!
- Accessibility: Partially Accessible
- Parking: Street Parking
- Photography: Permitted