The Star-Spangled Banner Flag House
844 E Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21202
Opened to the public in 1928, the historic Star-Spangled Banner Flag House and Museum preserves the 1793 home and workshop of flag maker Mary Young Pickersgill, who made the flag that flew over Fort McHenry during the War of 1812 and inspired Francis Scott Key to write his famous poem that became our National Anthem. In 1927, the historic structure was purchased by Baltimore City with the intent to preserve the house for future generations as the birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner flag. In 1970 it was named a National Historic Landmark.
There are three buildings at the site. Check-in will be located at the visitor services desk on the first floor of the Hofmeister Building at the back of the court yard. The Hofmeister Building can be easily identified by the Great Flag Window on the facade. Guided tours will focus on the history of the historic house and current preservation project. There is a Children’s Discovery Gallery on the first floor of the Hofmeister Building.
- Accessibility: Partially Accessible
- Parking: Free Parking
- Photography: Permitted (no flash)