The Arch Social Club
2426 Pennsylvania Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21217
2426 Pennsylvania Avenue was built in 1912 as the Schanze Theater before it served as a restaurant in the 1940s and 1960s. Founded in 1905, the Arch Social Club aimed at civic, cultural, and spiritual activities to bolster the African American community, which was marginalized and excluded due to segregation. Over the years, the non-sectarian club expanded activities to include performances open to the public. They acquired the building in 1972 underwent an extensive facade renovation in 2013, revitalizing the presence of the club with a bright arched entrance.
The Arch Social Club recently won a national 2018 Partners in Preservation: Main Streets grant by popular vote. Funds will be used to to improve facade lighting and update the marquee, leading the way for the new Pennsylvania Avenue Black Arts & Entertainment District.
- Accessibility: Partially Accessible
- Parking: Street Parking
- Photography: Permitted