23 - The Grand Baltimore
225 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Guided tours of the 45,000 square foot meeting venue available on the hour, starting at 10 a.m. Tour guide will share historic facts about this majestic treasure in the heart of Baltimore. Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages will be offered as well as freshly baked cookies at the conclusion of the tour. Photos will be allowed of the architectural detail of the building.
The roots of The Grand can be traced back to 1822, when the Maryland Freemasons established their first Grand Lodge on St. Paul Street. In 1866, the City of Baltimore acquired the property as an extension to the Court House, prompting the Freemasons to lay the cornerstone for their new Grand Lodge on Charles Street. The building faced near destruction twice due to devastating fires in 1890 and 1908 and was restored by Carson & Sperry in 1909. For more than 130 years, the Grand Lodge served as the Maryland Freemasons’ headquarters until it was acquired by the owners of Tremont Suite Hotels in 1998, who undertook the formidable task of restoring the building to its original splendor. After years of dedicated work, the Tremont Grand opened its doors in 2005.
- Accessibility: Partially handicap accessible (Only parts of the building can be accessed via wheelchair)
- Parking: Street Parking