300 W. Pratt St, Baltimore 21201
Commissioned by entrepreneur William Wilkens, the cast-iron facade Wilkens-Robins Building was constructed in 1871 to house the local headquarters of his thriving business, The Wilkens Brush Company. Wilkens occupied the building until 1904 when he relocated. He then began leasing the building, and in 1940 it was purchased by Robins Paper Company. The building was sold to the city in 1972, and by 1988 was in danger of being demolished. Real estate development firm Stone & Associates then presented a redevelopment plan which included offices and mixed-use retail. During the restoration of the building, many of the missing details from the original structure were recast in aluminum and refastened. Support for the walls and floor joists were added in the form of heavy structural steel. Additions were constructed on either side of the building to house mixed-use retail.
Architects Ammon Heisler Sachs now have offices in the building. Check out the firm and enjoy refreshments.
- Accessibility: Fully Accessible
- Parking: Street Parking
- Photography: Permitted